Sunday, October 26, 2008

Billy Bob

I have had this thing about naming bucks that I see when I am hunting and I saw one yesterday that I call Billy Bob. Let me tell you a little about Billy Bob.

Two years ago I hunted this one stand (hunters don't tell where the good ones are) that afternoon I saw a deer I call Fred and another one I use to say was Fred's dad. I now call him Billy Bob. I couldn't get a shot at Billy Bob 2 years ago because he stepped out right at dark and for a split second. No one else really hunted this stand for 2 years at least those that did, didn't see Fred nor Billy Bob. Yesterday morning I decided to go back there. At about dawn out stepped Fred. I know it was him. I couldn't believe it. However, I didn't shoot him. One it was really early and shooting one that early would make others not come out at all, besides, it was Fred. I was just happy to see him. Fred is a tall deer, even his rack is really tall, not wide just tall. I like deer with wide racks so I kind of wasn't after Fred. After another hour of sitting there out of the corner of my eye about 100+ yards away I saw a wide rack...Billy Bob. I know from the looks of the rack this was the same deer I saw with Fred 2 years ago. You ask how I really know? Well I just do. They are in the same territory the were two years ago, they have the same amount of points and their racks are the same size as 2 years ago. Not really size but the same structure.

Anyway, of course Billy Bob was really sneaky and out for only a second, so I didn't shoot. I wanted to go back yesterday night and see if I saw him again. I was in the stand about 45 minutes when out stepped 4 does and a few minutes later down the road to my right was a big deer standing in the middle of the road. The sun was setting behind him. The sun was in my scope so I couldn't see him to shoot but he stood there like I have never seen. He didn't move for over 10 minutes. I looked back at the deer to my left, the does, and back in the lower field behind them was Fred. He ran up to within 30 yards from the stand and started eating. Most bucks if you know don't just come out so easily but I was lucky. I looked back and Billy Bob was still there. That was actually the time I named him Billy Bob ( I don't know why that name, just came to me) Billy Bob was looking right at Fred and Fred at him. I figure they were going to start to fight but at the same time they were so far apart I didn't know where they would run so I had to make my move. It was about then that the sun went behind a cloud and as Billy Bob took a step I shot. Fred ran off but the does that were within 30 yards of me behind me stayed there eating. Billy Bob ran off. I was so afraid I missed. I was shaking so bad. I called my husband in the stand (go Verizon) I wanted him to stop his hunt and come and help me find Billy Bob but about that time I heard a shot. He had shot too.

Long story short, my does stayed there until I got out of the stand, even after I stood up in the stand and yelled at them. My husband and I went to look for his deer, we found it, and 8 point with a 22 inch spread, with a small body. It was too dark to really look for Billy Bob. We didn't find any blood so I figured I missed, but deep down I know I didn't. We came home and I was really upset. I was mad too that we looked for his deer and found it and didn't look for mine. He promised that he would go look for it and today he and my dad did. It was luck they found it. Actually a good friend of my dad's found it (thanks God for him). Billy Bob was laying down in the woods almost behind the stand. He was a 9 point with a 18 1/2 inch spread and a big body. He had scares on him from all the fighting he had been doing. Billy Bob is the second Buck I have ever killed and the biggest. I thank God for Billy Bob!

Here he is. If you don't like this kind of thing, don't look any further!






No comments: