Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Almost






Alivia's tutu was made by Chrissy at http://www.dottiestripelayne.etsy.com/.

Today was a big day for Emily. She was going to start dance class with her friend Alivia (in the picture here with her) however it didn't work out like we thought it would. I found out about 2 hours before the class that Emily was too young, she needed to be 3. The lady at Miss Marion's didn't tell me that yesterday when I went up there and signed up instead I get told right before class. I wasn't very happy that I had spent money on shoes and clothes and then was told she couldn't take the class. I asked the Miss Lori at Miss Marion's if Emily could at least come today since I had already promised her she would get to wear her NEW TAP shoes and NEW BALLET shoes and see Alivia. (crazy I know, I just have to keep my promises to everyone even a 26 month old) Miss Lori agreed that she could come today but she didn't seem happy about it. (it was their mistake)

Once we were there Miss Lori didn't speak much to me at all and didn't say anything to Emily. Emily did great, she walked in the room with Alivia...holding her hand, it was so sweet. Once the door shut we ran to the window to see what would happen. Emily stood in line with Alivia and actually did some of the steps...she was late on them but it was her first dance experience and as any mother would say about their child...SHE DID GREAT, except there were two times when she walked out of the line to go climb on the red mat (I mean why even have that in there:)) so besides that she was good. However, the story doesn't end there.

Miss Lori corrected another kid that wanted to follow Emily over to the mat by saying..."no we don't do that, she is a baby (meaning Emily was a baby) and we don't do that." Well I had to hold down my lips to keep from screaming and plant my feet on the ground to keep from running in there and pulling Emily out of the class. She was the youngest out of 4 kids but she was no baby, she was actually only a few month younger then the child Miss Lori corrected. I know it doesn't sound like much but the way she said it...just got to me.

I was so upset for Emily. I know she didn't know that Miss Lori didn't want her there and she didn't know that she was the youngest nor did she know or understand what Miss Lori had said but I knew and I didn't like the way she was being treated. She was for the first time in her little life..THE OUTSIDER.

A few minutes later it was time for the girls to change shoes and Alivia took Emily's hand and gave her her shoes and Miss Lori helped put them on, only to find out the new shoes were too small so Miss Lori called me in there to inform me they were too small. I just told her I would take them back. She said Emily was welcome to stay in there the rest of the class but she really needed to be in another class called the Mommy and Me class....which no one else had told me about when I called up there yesterday. So I just told her since her shoes didn't fit we would just go. So we left.

I want to do the Mommy and Me class for Emily, because she has been dancing all day since class and she was so confused when we left and the other girls didn't. I felt so bad for her. On the other hand I don't want to take the Mommy and Me class because I really don't like the way that Miss Lori treated Emily. I can see people having a bad day and especially when you are trying to teach something to 4 toddlers but when you have bad days you can't take it out on children. When we are upset or angry they can feel that. I know Emily felt it. As a mother we can feel their pain, they excitement. I just feel such a bond with Emily that I know what she is thinking most of the time. She shouldn't have been an outsider. No child should be especially at 26 months!

So if anyone reads this and knows of any dance place that takes children age 2 and up please let me know. I really want her to have this opportunity but I don't want it to be at Miss Marion's in Spartanburg, SC.


For what it is worth she looked cute!

3 comments:

Ben said...

Welcome to the world of dance studios. If Emily chooses to take next year, you will be so disgusted by the way parents, and some teachers, act. You were much more calm with the situation than I would be. I hate it for Emily, but apparently that is not the place that she needs to be. My friend Christi owns StarMakers in Inman, you can check with her.

Chrissy said...

Sorry dance didn't work out. I feel bad also:( Alivia was looking forward to Emily being there. She did look really cute though:) I love the pic of her and Alivia hugging!!!

The Hollis Family said...

Jenna takes from the pre college at Converse. You do have to be three, but I highly recomend it for next year. It sounds swanky; however, they are so nice, and they are more than great with the little ones. Jenna's teacher, Miss Kacie, is one of her favorite people on earth. This is Jenna's second year, and I don't have a single complaint. I can't say that about the other studios in Spartanburg. Emily looked like a little doll!