Thursday, November 20, 2008

Appendicitis

So here is the story. Last Friday I started hurting around the right side of my belly button. I thought I had pulled a muscle. It started Friday morning. That night I went to dinner for my Father-In-Laws birthday...I felt like crap but I didn't let it on. Emily stayed with my mom that night because I had school the next day...yes on Saturday. Again, I still didn't feel good but I didn't think I was that bad off.


I have always said I could take pain, at least abdominal pain, I mean after 2 liproscopic surgeries for endometrious (spelling), pregnancy, a cesarean, a d&c, what else could be worse? Let me answer that for you....APPENDIX. I have never went to the emergency room but after trying to go to sleep Friday night/Sat Morning I found myself thinking this would be the first emergency room trip. At about 3 am Saturday morning I was sitting there watching TV (couldn't sleep, couldn't lay on either side) I said a little prayer..."God if we are going to do this we need to do it. If I am suppose to go to the emergency room then tell me now because otherwise I am not going." About that time the worse pain of all come over me in my lower right side. After getting my breath back and saying, "okay I can take a hint." I ran to get my husband. I told him I needed him to take me to the hospital. He jumped up so fast....(if you know my husband, nothing wakes him so I was really surprised) I told him to calm down it wasn't an emergency yet. (then I thought why am I going again)


At 4am we were at Sptbg Regional. At about & 8am we were told it was the appendix. I went into surgery at about 11am (yes it takes that long to get everything together). The good news is I was able to come home the same day at about 4pm. I would have signed myself out if they wouldn't have let me leave.


The doctor said he knew I was in major pain because the appendix had not yet burst but was really bad. They had to take all of it, which means they had to actually clip off some of my large intestine to make sure it was all gone. I have 3 cuts on me which are no big deal except the one at my belly button, it does bother me. The main thing is I am not suppose to lift for at least 4 weeks. (NEVER GONNA HAPPEN) I think the doctor forgot about Christmas decorations, taking out the trash, washing clothes, and lets not forget the child of mine. I could get a hernia from any lifting so I don't want to but then again...what do you do? We all know a mom and a wife can't just stop for 4 weeks.


I have been good, up until yesterday. The last two days I have been moving around a lot and I can feel it. I feel burning in my stomach...muscles I guess but I can handle it. I go back to the doctor on Monday and we are going to talk about this 4 weeks deal and see just what all I can and can't do...or should I say what all I am suppose to not do! I can be so hard headed!


The Facts

Just so you know there is no clear cause of appendicitis. Fecal material has been thought to be one possible obstructing object. It also appears that appendicitis is not hereditary or transmittable from person to person. Symptoms of appendicitis may take 4-48 hours to develop. Appendicitis typically begins with a vague pain in the middle of the abdomen often near the navel or "belly button". The pain slowly moves to the right lower abdomen (toward the right hip). In the classic description, abdominal pain is accompanied with nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite, and fever. All of these symptoms, however, occur in fewer than half of people who develop appendicitis. More commonly, people with appendicitis often have any combination of these symptoms, I only had the abdominal pain and some dizziness.


Not much is known about the human appendix because studies on the appendix are difficult to conduct. Doctors have debated the exact function of the organ for years, as removal causes no noticeable symptoms.


Thank you all for your prayers, emails, and flowers. I love you all!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Loving all the diagramed details. :) Hope you feel beter. My blog is under construction still. I think for my very first post i may do my new car cause there are a lot who havent seen it yet. Love you!
♥Sarah

Alli said...

Hi Michelle!
So sorry you had to go through that! I know what you mean about being told not to lift things as a mom when you have an injury. That's so hard to do! I pray you heal fast! Bless you!

olivia said...

Michelle,
I had no idea you had to go through all of that! I am so sorry, and I hope all is well now:) I love that you keep including me in your e-mails, even though I'm only sporadically able to check out your blog and sites in detail.... You have done so much and are so amazing. You always have been. Love you. Olivia