Saturday, June 21, 2008

A note to you Parents and your teens.

My mom turned 58 this weekend. That sounds old but it is so young. I love my mother so much. I owe her everything. I was so mean to her growing up, I hope Emily is never as bad to me as I was to my mom.

I pay for it now every day. I will never forget what I put her through. I know almost all teenagers want their own Independence and want to do everything their parents tell them not to, but when I was a teen I didn't know anything, even though I thought I knew everything.

I wasn't really that bad. I didn't go out and get drunk, I actually hated drinking. I didn't flaunt myself or pop pills or anything really bad, but my attitude would have made you think otherwise. I was so rude to everyone, especially my mom. I think that is just part of being a teenager a part of being a girl. I just know it isn't right and I don't want my child to be like I was.

I really respect my mom now and I did back then. I was always out with my dad and papa but I admired my mom because the things she did in the house I didn't want to do. I hated cleaning back then and cooking and anything inside so I stayed out with my dad which I think made me want to be even more independent. A part of me was such a tom boy that I felt I had to have a man's heart and well they don't have much of a gentle side all the time. The other part of me just didn't want to listen to anyone. That was the teen in me.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have been the best daughter ever, but it doesn't work that way does it. You can't get that time back. You can't erase it. To those parents that have teenagers...girls at least, listen. You have to talk to them. You have to be their friend and their mom. I know it is hard to hear what they have to say sometimes but you have to put yourself in their shoes. Your kids are changing and the only one they can talk is their friends, who know just what they know....nothing. They need to talk to you. They need to know you went through the same things when you were their age. They need to know about your past. They need to know and understand that you too once felt their pain, happiness, fear. Talk to them. Open up to them and listen to them.

For you teenagers, who think you know it all, you don't . I know you think you are always right, but you aren't. Your parents say they are always right and believe it or not they are. I thought my parents knew nothing but the older I got I realized that they were right. I did need to save money, I would find another person to love me, I would find someone that cared about me, that person wasn't a good friend, you don't need to put anyone before your God or family, the more true friends you have the better, you have to trust to love, I didn't need to go to places like that, I didn't need to hang out with that crowd, etc. Parents Do Know...so listen to them.

I know it is hard to look your mom or dad in the eye and open up to them but to make life easier...do it. Don't ever think you know better then your parents or grandparents. Don't ever think your mom and dad haven't felt what you feel or have felt. Life is hard...for everyone. Not just you. Oh and please girls know that NO GUY is more important then your family, no guy except for God and Jesus. Also know that you are never alone, even when you do something wrong your parents still love you and so does God. Life is worth living. It does get better. Trust me I have been there, so if you can't talk to your parents talk to me. I am here for you.

Girls and Boys, know that you can't go back in time. What you do, what you say, once you do it or say it, it is over. There is no changing it. Think before you do anything. Listen to your heart, follow your heart. Life is precious and you can live it or let it live you. I say live it, but live it right.

I thank God everyday for my parents and I wish I could take back 1/2 of what I did to them and said to them, but I can't. Instead for the rest of my life I live with it and try to tell them how much I love them, how much I thank them for everything, and how sorry I am. Hopefully one day they will really understand just how much I do love them. One day, One day...

3 comments:

Ben said...

Amen- Ben is starting the attitude and back talk now. It drives me crazy and then i think back to my teenage days and wonder how my mom survived. Happy Birthday Paula!

Ben said...

Amen- Ben is starting the attitude and back talk now. It drives me crazy and then i think back to my teenage days and wonder how my mom survived. Happy Birthday Paula!

calicodaisy said...

Great testimony. I think it does take being a parent and then being the age you remember your parents being when you were young to put it in perspective. I have 18 and 16 year old, wonderful kids, and I give them a lot of grace as they "grow up" under us and push the boundaries. But, like your parents, we are still here walking them through it. -- Michele